Monday, December 27, 2010

Greatness? No.


Some men were born great; others, had greatness trusted upon them.
Those who were born great create empires and careers that not many could surpassed;
while those who had greatness trusted upon them,
went on to seek higher glory for what that they inherited.

There were many men in history who were born great,
to create pages in the history textbook for themselves.
Caesar, Genghis Khan, Napoleon, William of Normandy.
And they had heirs who were trusted with important greatness,
and went on to push limits and boundaries.
Octavian, Kublai Khan, Peter the Great.

Great men were born out of times of chaos,
to create a brand new era for themselves;
while in peace time certain ones had greatness entrusted to them,
to maintain the peace and order of the empires.

But not all of us were born to be great men;
and not all of us had that responsibility to uphold greatness.

"Everyone could be a leader. It's just about whether you want to."
My teachers and coaches spoke of this a dozen times;
I used to believe in such fabricated tales-
tales of how everything about success just voice down to your own determination.
That was the time when I used to believe that everyone could be great.
I believed everyone should have dreams- and dreams do come true.

But it came to one day, when all these fanciful thoughts shattered.

I always used to think that I could strive to be like one of them.
Caesar, the Khans, Peter, or maybe, just like Raffles.
I thought with enough changes and hard work,
I could prove myself to be worthy of greatness.
Greatness that gives me the power to influence people and change the surroundings.

But reality came to a point that make it very clear to me.
I'm not born great; neither people had greatness entrusted upon me.
I tried to be that guiding lamp among hearts of the common.
But well, I never got a chance to do so;
or should I say, they never gave me a chance to perform?

Be it in my CCA, in class, or other where else;
I feel like I'm being locked up, and put away.
Years passed, and my mates attained honourable positions in CCA and school.
As for me, I'm a mere little specialist, not worthy of notice.
All those words that I used to believe in...
suddenly turned into white lies.

Greatness, I never aspire for it anymore.

Despite not being born for greatness, or having greatness entrusted upon me;
I still believe, I'm born for something.
I'm born to serve a certain purpose,
or maybe I'm born to find a certain purpose in life.
There's still something that is worth living for;
there's still a value that makes life meaningful, as it should be.

For years, I seek out for this purpose.
I kept on wondering, was this born upon me,
or I have to seek it from the world,
like looking for a tiny needle in the ocean.
It might be hard finding something that you didn't know what it is-
but I never gave up seeking.

I couldn't achieve great things in life; neither would people entrusted greatness upon me,
but I believe there's a reason that I came to this world.
There's a reason that I've came to explain.
There's a purpose that I've came to serve.
There's a role, for I have came to play.

Be it negative, be it positive-
I firmly believe that there is place for me to stand among the commons.
I might not stand great or high among them;
but certainly, at the very least, I have to stand equal among the commons.

Not being born a great man, or entrusted with greatness, it's fine!
But you have to live a decent, honest and respectable life.

And when I'm still searching for that purpose of life,
I stoop upon blogger.com, and started blabbering.

Years passed, and those filthy words,
suddenly came to life, dancing gracefully.

I'm thinking, perhaps there's still a way I can change the world.

But for a start, this change shall start from myself.

No comments: