Saturday, March 5, 2011

Legacy


Perhaps one of the greatest moments in my life,
was to be able to lead a platoon of 27 men, each of different personalities,
and having a intellectual as my aide-de-camp.
I'm just a mere student, so are they;
bu together we make a formidable team, I guess.

I possess nothing, I have none;
but for one moment, I commanded the obedience of 27 people.
Like it or not, they followed my every single word-
but it was not for naught.

I ain't a great man, nor am I a good leader;
but for a moment I commanded great men and leaders.
Different personalities serve the Corps under my guidance-
raging from strictness to a joker to the core.
Even though a minority might be jokers,
but they're the one who brought laughter to the platoon.

As compared to my predecessor,
I guess my efforts are inadequate.
Perhaps I've never done enough to realise their potential;
worse still, I might not done enough to prepare them for the next phrase of their career path.
But I assumed most of them enjoyed the moments together;
ranging from utmost strictness and discipline,
to joking and laughing away,
together.

I don't really think that I've done a good job.
And I don't think I've done much to help most of them.
But it is, and it will be, these moments,
that lingers in the memory lane,
till the die I withered and die.
A mere little failure in school like me,
was given the opportunity to lead and spend time with great men and leaders...
I guess, that's more than enough, more than everything.

And days ago I was still talking to my aide-de-camp,
"Well, do you think our effort is adequate?
Do you think I have done enough for them, for the company?"

And he said calmly,
"I guess at least we done a pretty average job...
well, we left behind a legacy among some of them."

Alright, all right;
it doesn't really matter much, whether I've done great to change them;
but well, I believe the moments we had together,
will leave behind legacies...
not just only in them, but in the company, for generations to come.

I was never ever given chances to do something;
other than this time.
For a moment, there was something that I stood proud of-
the order and discipline of the past was what I used to brag about.

You guys gave me chance, a chance to show, a chance to portray;
I wonder how good, or badly, I fared in your hearts...
but well, at this moment, it doesn't really matter.
Having able to guide you all through times and moments,
I guess it's all enough, more than enough.
But I would like to say, thank you for giving me chance,
to do something, to show, to portray.

I don't think I've done much to make anything better-
but what lingers in the aftermath is the seasons in the sun.

It's now time to fly, to soar, to achieve;
and time for me to step down, to see how far you guys could fly.
I think, the moments are coming to an end soon;
now, it's your time, to create legacies of your own.
leave behind nothing, no regrets, no sadness...
but legacies.

And once again, the proudest moment of life,
and the most memorable, till the day I withered and die,
was not the times I stood proud in front of everyone;
but rather, it was, with the presence of the 27 elites,
that I stood proud in front of myself.

Perhaps I didn't really done a good job,
and maybe, these moments are mixed of smiles and frowns;
but well, it is what that lingers in the memory lane,
till the end, till eternal.

No comments: