It's another nice beautiful Monday morning which happens to be a school holiday,
and while I'm going to wrap up of what's left of my revision,
I received a message from one of my mates in the Corps.
There's a high possibility that something drastic is going to happen everytime we get together,
but to my prediction, he brought me the bad news that I had been awaiting.
So here's the story:
There's this little ceremony every year in school,
whereby the school would actually 'appreciate' individuals who contributed merit to the CCA or organization.
They call it the 'CCA Appreciation Day';
while many of the seniors worked hard just for recognition on this day,
with all the applause, honour and glory,
yet I've always viewed it as some form of victory parade for the winners of the school.
So coming down to my last year in secondary school,
it happens that now it is my turn to go up on stage.
What a surprise, really; I've never thought much about any appreciation in my CCA.
So along with my aide-de-camp CJ and a few other mates,
we've been given the lowest of all honours in this victory parade.
They call it an appreciation award;
basically just to appreciate your hard work and effort for the CCA and the school.
Yet instead of being elated, I felt some kind of frustrated;
not at the fact that I'm give the lowest honour,
but with the reality that this is an unfair system.
Every year I see decorated NCOs walking up the stage,
donning that uniform of theirs which is covered with medals.
They were the real creme de la creme;
those that have fought and won glory for the school in regional or national competitions.
These are the people that was ensured a smooth career in their CCA,
and ended up as the biggest winner every year.
However yet there is another group of people left unnoticed.
These are the people who did the lowest of all jobs in their CCA;
while the Club President or Company Sergeant Major is planning big events,
these people are always running errands, tying up the loose ends,
as well as being a mediator and middleman between the top dogs and the lower caste.
I've always believe and view these people as the true warriors of their CCA;
but alas, many addressed them with the term 'Sai Kang Warrior'(shit jobbers).
I'm not very sure which category I belong to,
such that it made my presence an additional decoration to the whole ceremony.
I'm a Staff Sergeant who earned my rank through internal merits;
I never participate in competitions to win glory for the school,
but I trained the very first A-Team that earn the school an honour roll.
I sew my rank because of my effort, not my merit.
After much thinking, I believe that I belonged to the other group.
On the day of the ceremony, many of the school's top dogs;
those who hosted parades and events, those who won merits and honours for the school,
those who gave the school its sustained achievement on the national platform;
they are walking up the stage, receiving the highest of honours,
enjoying the long awaited applause of the crowd under the stage.
Yet also on that very day,
another group of people shall sit in the hall's gallery;
these are the Warriors who ran errands, mop the floor and tied the loose ends,
and did everything else to ensure that every detail of the event is accounted for;
they sit side by side on the gallery, clapping for those decorated ones,
feeling happy and joyful for their fellow mates upon stage.
But they graduated without much, perhaps none appreciation for their measly efforts,
which adds up to be the foundation and backbone for the sustained merits.
Are you like those decorated top dogs,
who earned your rank and post with merits and prizes;
or are you like me, another shit jobber who contributed silently at the backstage?
The stone on top of Mount Everest faced the world with pride and glory;
proud that it is the highest point of Earth,
glorified because it is at the top of all stones.
Yet without the millions and billions of stones forming the foundation of the Everest,
how, may I ask, would this top stone be more important that the stones that form the base?
Appreciation, I believe, doesn't comes from medals and certificates.
It comes from the content and happiness you received,
because of your little effort that aids to the smooth procedure of the event.
Having done your best and you're sure of it,
that is the best appreciation.
Today I, Walker, stand in pride to give the loudest applause to all of the backstage crew.
Without your running of errands, tying of loose ends,
never would the top dogs strike a good victory,
sustaining the glory of the school.
With this, I applause for you guys!
Well done, everyone!
No comments:
Post a Comment