Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Comments for our young heroine


Like any other day in Term 3, it's another hectic day that rushed by.
I was expecting, like any other Wednesdays,
to receive a newspaper article commentary as our weekly assignment.
But it seems like our HCL teacher is having a pleasant day today,
so, what we did was just a little discussion on the articles,
instead of doing a long, detailed commentary.

As we discussed and analyze the various headlines on the newspaper,
we gradually drew our attention towards a specific article on Comma,
the Chinese newspaper published exclusively for secondary students.
Taking a look at it, it was regarding the 'letter to the education minister';
which I believe its stance and viewpoints to be concur by many people.

While most local students express agreement over the content of the letter,
me, on the other hand, beg to differ.
I have read this letter before,
a few times on Facebook with this letter(originally a Facebook circulating around),
and twice on Temasek Review.
I must say that the situation expressed in this note are of the reality;
in fact, of the very harsh reality containing facts that I have to agree with.
However, after much digestion of the contents of this letter,
I have to oppose the viewpoints of our young heroine's in her letter to our education minister.

It is fact that she portrayed in her note;
the curriculum, the system, the teaching methods,
to the 'because Cambridge says so', 'because Carbon isn't a metal', etc.
But what I am against is about her perception towards our education system;
or I should say, the way she perceived the outcome of our system,
as well as her skeptic viewpoints regarding this system.

Been it, felt it, seen it;
I myself is one of the products of this system.
I've went through countless CAs, SAs, class tests and common tests;
at times I didn't bothered to give much of a concern for such grades that I deemed as "pointless and unnecessary",
yet at certain moments I choose to put in the best of my effort into every question I face with in a certain examination.
But for most of the times this actually voice down to the crucial decision regarding my level promotion or subject streaming,
instead of the passion and enthusiasm for education and knowledge.

True enough, this system have turned us into robots,
robots who would only do things in one manner,
and see things in one perspective.
But it is the same system that turned us into productive robots,
useful robots, as well as robots in high demand.
Being assimilated into this system a decade ago,
I have to say that in some ways I'm brainwashed by the system;
but at the same time I remain clear-minded regarding when to curse and swear about the system,
as well as when to appreciate and understand the policies implemented to keep the system going.

Yes, it is the principles of meritocracy that turn some things into a paper chase.
But isn't this what emerging LDCs are doing,
using it as a jumpboard to nurture leaders of their nations,
so that these people who have participated in the paper chase could bring their nation to grater heights?
Look at China, look at Korea...
If people there can strive to be of their very best,
then what are we complaining about when we have heavily subsidized education,
when some kids in Africa don't even get a chance to learn ABC?

At times I always felt that we failed to appreciate whatever the government or decision makers have done for us.
Despite the fact that at times they couldn't 100% understand our plight and did not went through the same process as we did,
I always believe that whatever that they have done is out of the goodwill for the nation and the people.
Certainly a policy might piss you off regarding the way it might affect you,
maybe the policy-maker might not understand the real implications due to this policy...
But haven't all of them done it for the sake of us,
the future leaders of this nation?

Another thing I would like to emphasize is about the way our young heroine expressed her unhappiness towards the system.
I mean, knowing that the system have its limitations in some way,
is writing a note on facebook to the minister the most effective solution?
Minister Heng is of another generation and era;
he might not be able to understand the thoughts and perceptions of us, the youngsters.
Rather that expressing our unhappiness towards the system towards long-winded discussion online,
why can't we just pull our socks up, get some decent grades for our O levels,
so that we can have the ability to enter the government service,
and to alter and improve this system,
so that we can 'end whatever agony that we have gone through',
before it reaches the next generation?

I have to admit that sometimes us, the young ones,
have not only overlooked the goodwill and effort our forebears have put in for us;
sometimes I also find that we tend to only look from our own perception,
and stubbornly stick to our own thoughts,
at times unwilling to listen to the explanation of others.
While on one hand we concur with whatever our young heroine have said,
have you ever tried explaining why the people before us put this system in today's place?
Have you ever wondered why they did things this way?
Have you ever tried understanding the system, understanding the viewpoints of our policy-makers?
Looking at our young heroine's one-sided view,
I have to say that at times, the young and rash ones, including me,
tend to overlook the most valuable and cherish values in life.

I must clarify that I am not some form of PAP supporter,
and neither do I have any personal grudge with our young heroine;
like all of you, I'm just expressing my views regarding this incident.
Nevertheless our young heroine have done a courageous act that no one before her had really done before;
with this, I also hope that in the time to come youngsters can be more open with their views,
so that it would benefit our policy-makers in making decisions that suits us.

All in all, I got to say that the earth is round;
one thing can be viewed from different manners.
It is important for us to put ourselves in the shoes of others,
as well as understanding the perspective of other's actions.
Yet, it remains a concerning issue that our young ones tend to take for granted whatever things they have in life,
not knowing that it is viewed as a form of luxury in the lives of others.

Thank you.

No comments: