Monday, August 30, 2010

600th post


It's a god 600th post today, including private postings and drafts.
Over here, I thank all visitors and readers,
for the unfading support over the past two years,
such that your anticipation for the blog's post motivates me to blog more.

It's another average day today.
Same old stuff; work, work, work.
But today i believe that I've done something meaningful.
I've talked some sense into my juniors.

I always firmly believe in the Quaker religion's self-inflicted penance,
as well as the idea of self-understanding and giving chances.
Punishment, sometimes it might be a must;
but I firmly believe that we have to do it in the right way,
such that people would understand what they did wrong,
and most importantly, why they did wrong.

I've never oppose the use of corporal punishment;
in fact, I'm a strong supporter of the use of corporal punishment,
be it under civillian, criminal or military context.
However, I also believe that corporal punishment has to be dealt the right way-
such that it fulfills its requirement of making the condemned understand their err.

After two years in NCC,
and going through much punishments that were dealt wrongly,
as well as various forms of unfairness;
I always believe that punishment is a good opportunity to change one's personality,
be it for the better or the worse.
The result of a punishment- good or bad- can have long lasting consequences.

I'm proud to say that I am very saddistic,
but saddistic in a way that my juniors learnt something.

I never took corporal punishment as a first choice.
Instead, I believe in strict reasoning and warnings,
sometimes to the extent of threatening,
are something that can have better results that dealing corporal punishment right from the start.

Punishment is dealt not because something is done wrong or discipline is flawed,
but it is done so in order to stop an individual in continuing the same mistakes which will lead to more dire consequences.


If punishment, from the start, is to stop things from going worse;
how come most of us use it as if we had to condemned one person, until death?

That's why I choose to talk sense, analysing situations with my juniors,
rather than giving them the 'Death Penalty' right from the start.

That's why I gave chances.

Never was I given a chance in NCC.
Be it Annual Camps, Freestyle Drill Competition-
Never was I given another chance to redeem myself.
Instead, I was sentenced to 'Death'-
My talents, forever, unrecognised.

These bad memories never taught me to took revenge,
but instead, change things for the better,
so that history does not repeats itself again.

I believe chances are what people need.
Some might realise them, some might not;
but sooner or later, all will realise the true definition of chances.
Which is to lead you to the right path.

I have various cadets who skipped trainings all the time.
Till now, they are still doing so.
But never did I dealt harsh punishments on them.
Because I knew that will for sure,
extinguish the last enthusiasm they had for NCC.

Being an educator and a mentor myself,
I always see the point of my teachers' action.
I understand why they gave detentions,
I understand why they gave extra work;
I understand why they did things in certain ways.

Because I am an educator myself,
and I doing the same of what my teachers are doing.

So I learn.
Learn to feel the feelings of teachers.
I tried to help them, cooperate with them.
Go to lessons on time, hand in work on time;
I didn't want my cadets to make life difficult for me.
Neither my teachers want me to make life difficult for them.

I guess my job as an educator,
is not just to teach and educate them from 1430 to 1830hrs every Friday.

It is to help them in wherever I can render help,
teach them to be morally and justifiably upright;
to stand up for what is right, to stand up against what is wrong.
And to answer they questions, clear their doubts;
To encourage them in areas where they lack of confidence,
to give them chances in areas where they lack opportunity,
and to motivate them in their dreams.

That is my job, as an educator.

No comments: